Thursday 6 December 2012

Small Is The New Big

I'm a proud apartment dweller, truly content in the 135 meters that I call home. I LOVE sharing an elevator with 29 other families. It's fantastic exercise bumping my stroller down 4 flights of stairs when said elevator is "unavailable" (which is NEVER the case when I need it). I'm also thankful that I don't have a private entrance. It's always fun bumping into (tripping over) my across-the-hall neighbor as we're both trying to maneuver our brood out at the same time. But, most of all, I'm especially happy that I don't live in a big house. I certainly don't have time to clean all of those bathrooms......

Besides, who needs all of that space when, if done right, you can stuff a whole lot  of furniture, people, things, and antelopes, in the space you've got......if you want. 

So that's what I want to shmooze about. How to make a little space feel big(ger).  
During the day I'm an interior architect and designer. During the day and night I'm a mommy of 5 (and wife of 1). Sometimes I'll post layouts where space was used really creatively, sometimes I'll share design and organisation tips, and sometimes I'll kvetch about my kids. Some of the material is mine and some is re purposed. The kids are mine (though not when they misbehave. Then they're definitely my husband's)


6 comments:

  1. This is going to be a fun blog--i can see it already! looking forward to the next post. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope not to disappoint! (I can see where you live in J-m from the picture on your blog :) )

      Delete
  2. Well hey there JS! Nice to see you over here. We really must meet one of these days.
    Shira - this is exactly what we went through when we designed our apartment. We, too, are proud apartment dwellers and our goal was to eke out every inch of livable space from 145 sq. meters. I think we (meaning, my husband and our interior designer) did a pretty good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gila, it's amazing what a good interior designer can do. Thanks for stopping by and showing your support!

      Delete
  3. I am really looking forward to this one. We are a family of 4 in a space that worked great when we were just a couple... never did find something better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bas Melech, hope I can help! Are you in a 2 bedroom? Is it yours or are you renting?

    ReplyDelete